Oi oi, welcome, bienvenue, benvenuto, bienvenido, willkommen, welkom, , välkommen, Добро пожаловать, 欢迎来到, ようこそ!
Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have some tea first? — Alice in Wonderland
What to know about securing a working holiday visa
So you’ve decided its time to pack your things because Australia has been calling to your nomadic nature and it’s time for an adventure! Not just any adventure but one that is both travel orientated and work-driven right?!
Question: So what do you need to do before you can throw a shrimp on the barbie and chug back a frothy or two with the local crocodile hunters?
Answer: Apply for a Working Holiday Visa of course!!
What you’ll need before we begin:
- Your passport
- Your phone
- A declaration of your current state of health by a registered Doctor within the last 12 months
- $485 AUD* for the Visa (Ideally also having $5,000 AUD in your bank account — for immigration assurance).
Are you a 417 or 462 kind of person?!
- You cannot have a dependent child accompany you during your journey in Australia
- You cannot have entered Australia previously on a WHV or working visa (with the exception of having completed specified rural work in Australia, see here for more information)
- You must be between the age of 18 & 30 years old (This may change in the future*)
- You must be from an eligible nation for either a 417 or 462 WHV (see table)
Applying and receiving a WHV
- You must be outside of Australia when you apply for and receive the first year WHV— (we recommend allowing for up to 3 months to receive the visa).
- Ensure all documentation is translated into English.
462 Specific requirements
If you’re applying for a 462 WHV you may need additional documentation of:
- Relevant education qualifications.
- Some countries may require a government letter supporting your application.
- Evidence of functional English communication abilities (Generally speaking any English test completed within the last 12 months see here for more detail).
What does the visa give you?
- You can stay in Australia for up to 12 months.
- You can work in Australia, for up to six months with each employer.
- You can study for up to four months.
- You can leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid.
What is the cost of a WHV?
The latest information pulled from http://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa/fees#tab-content-0
- As of January 2020 both the 417 & 462 visa = $485 AUD
- Note: You are required to have at least $5000 AUD when entering Australia on a WHV & may be asked to prove this upon entry.
To start choose either:
Follow one of the above links and click on ‘Apply now’ on the bottom right hand side:
Awesome, you should now be directed to login to your ImmiAccount:
Don’t worry you’re not expected to have one of these yet (you’ll find the ‘Create an ImmiAccount just below). — “Aren’t I helpful!”
This account will be the Facebook of your Australian immigration information, where you will lodge and pay for applications in one relatively easy sequence of steps.
Click on ‘Create ImmiAccount’ and follow the prompts until you’ve applied and paid for your preferred visa subclass. This may take some time to fill in all the necessary information but it should be straight forward. If you’re unsure about anything send us a cheeky message and we’ll do our best to help you!
That's it for applying! Good luck, we hope to see you soon!
“Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire.” — Jennifer Lee